Love eating gola (shaved ice) but worried about the quality of ice or syrups being used by local gola walas? Why not try these slushie recipes to make icy drinks at home using your own ice and some fun desi ingredients that are super hydrating for summer…
Toddlers and younger kids tend to find only ice too cold to handle but melted ice they manage alright. Plus they make a mess eating a gola and cleaning up after them can be a pain. So I prefer giving Devansh slushies at home. I like to eat the crushed ice from the slushie as fast as I can before the ice melts, Devansh prefers to let the ice melt first and then slurp it up.
I made these slushies using desi ingredients which are good for summer, kokum (Gracinia indica if you please 🙂 ), watermelon, and jal jeera. I also used Kala Khatta, simply for the gola-wali feeling. I just love kala khatta gola, so it had to be made. 😀 Now without further ado here are 4 simple slushie recipes that kids and grownups can both enjoy in this scorching heat.
Kokum Slushie Recipe
Prep Time: 2 mins | Making Time: 3 mins | Serves: 1 (Click the image at the beginning of the post to view recipe video)
Kokum slushie, you can say a fun cousin of the healthy kokum sherbet, to cope with the scorching summer heat.
- 1 tbsp kokam extract
- 2 tbsp sugar syrup
- Half tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- Salt to taste
- Approx. 2 and a half cup ice cubes
- Mix kokam extract, sugar syrup, jeera powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Put ice cubes in a mixer, add the kokum mixture, and blend till ice is crushed.
- Transfer to a glass and serve. (I added chopped pieces of dried kokum on top.)
- You can use kokum syrup instead of kokum extract if you have that at home. You will need to add less or no sugar syrup in that case since the kokum syrup will have some sugar in it.
- You can use powdered sugar instead of sugar syrup.
- Avoid serving slushies in plastic cups as plastic leaches harmful chemicals when heated or frozen.
You can view some more summery drinks recipes here.