Of all the raita recipes, boondi raita is my favourite. It is a great accompaniment for North Indian food and is possibly the quickest raita to make. I usually make this raita if I have to make a raita for guests because you can’t go wrong with boondi raita, most people love it.
I usually make beetroot raita, veg raita, or fruit raita at home because of their nutritional value. I don’t make boondi raita as often as I would like because boondi is fried. But on some days when I don’t want to spend much time chopping vegetables or fruits, or just want to satiate my taste buds I make boondi raita. For me it is soul food, like dahi vada. There’s something about these two dishes; most women like them. Me, my mother, and my mother-in-law like dahi vada and boondi raita. Not so much my hubby or kiddo.
So here’s the super simple recipe of my favourite raita.
How to make Boondi Raita? (Video)
Simple and quick recipe of ever-popular boondi raita, which is a great accompaniment for North Indian food.
- 1 cup curd
- Half cup boondi
- 3/4th tsp chat masala
- 3/4th tsp red chili powder
- Half tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- Half tsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Take curd in a mixing bowl, add water, and whisk to make a smooth mixture. (The mixture should get pouring consistency. I make curd with cow milk so 2-3 tbsp of water was enough for me.)
- Add chat masala, red chili powder, jeera powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add chopped coriander and mix again. (You can refrigerate the curd mixture at this stage if you want to serve cold raita.)
- Add boondi and mix well. (Add the boondi just 10 minutes before serving the raita, else it'll become soggy.)
- Garnish with red chili powder, jeera powder, chopped coriander, and boondi.
- Many people prefer to add soft boondi, but I prefer the crunchy boondi. If you want to make this raita with soft boondi, soak boondi in warm water for 5-10 minutes and then squeeze out water before adding it in raita.
- If you like dense raita, use 3/4th cup boondi instead of half cup.