Summer is here with its scorching heat. With it comes the risk of sun stroke and dehydration as we lose salt and glucose from our body. Lemonade is a yummy way to stay hydrated and quench your thirst in this season. Sharing with you all 3 refreshing lemonade recipes that are simple and quick. Each lemonade recipe needs sugar syrup so you can make sugar syrup in excess, and store it to be used as and when needed. The other ingredients like lemon juice, mint and ginger extract are best made fresh to derive maximum nutritional benefits from them. Hope you find these lemonade recipes useful to beat the heat. You can view more summer drinks recipes here.
Classic Lemonade Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cooking Time: 5 mins | Serves: 4
Simple, Classic Lemonade recipe that's loaded with lemons that are rich in vitamin C. This recipe also contains combination of sugar and salt that acts as ORS to hydrate the body during scorching summer heat.
- 4 lemons (I got approx. 1 cup of lemon juice.)
- 1 cup sugar
- Few mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Ice cubes
- Combine sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture till sugar dissolves, then turn off heat. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, roll the lemons by putting some pressure on them using your palm. You can extract more juice from the lemons this way.
- Cut the lemons in half and extract lemon juice from the lemons. (I used the manual steel lemon juice squeezer. I got approximately 1 cup lemon juice.)
- Strain the extracted lemon juice if there are any seeds in it.
- Add lemon juice, 1 cup sugar syrup, and 3 cups water in a pitcher.
- Put 7-8 ice cubes in a glass and pour lemonade from the pitcher into the glass.
- Add 5-6 mint leaves in each glass and serve chilled before the ice melts.
- Salt is not added in the classic-style lemonade but I prefer the taste of lemonade with salt added. Also, a pinch of salt added to sweet water acts as ORS and is good for hydrating the body in summer.
- I added lemon juice and sugar syrup in 1:1 proportion but if you find the taste of lemonade too sour, you can add more sugar syrup. But make sure to factor in ice too as ice will dilute the lemonade.
- You can make sugar syrup in bulk and store it to be used as and when needed for future use.
- Stevia extract is an excellent, healthy alternative to sugar if you want to avoid sugar or it's harmful substitutes like Aspartame. Make sure to buy alcohol-free one.