|Fettucini with avocado and cottage cheese|
My ex-colleague, Josceline, frequently puts up pics of culinary delights cooked by her on Facebook. And let me tell you these pics will make you drool. I don’t know how on earth she manages to do all that cooking while looking after her 14 month old daughter, Emily. When I asked Josceline for a pasta recipe, she sent me recipe for fettucine with avocado and shrimps. Since I don’t cook non-vegetarian food (other than eggs) at home, I asked her for a vegetarian alternative to shrimps. She suggested cottage cheese. So now here’s a recipe for fettucine with avocado and cottage cheese. From this point onwards, I’ve retained what Josceline’s written.
|Josceline with Emily|
Josceline writes: We make the pasta for us adults and don’t add chillies/pepper because Em shares the same. Emily gets served everything except the shrimp (she’s too young for those for the next 3-4 years.). She picks the pasta in her pincer-grip proudly, tosses her head back, gets it all folded into her mouth and grins. Sometime she does the kiddie noodle-slurp. And finally, she’ll munch like we taught her, and open her mouth to show she’s done. At other times, she’ll hop up on my lap and have me feed her. There’s always room for more pasta in her tiny baby mouth.
Healthy pasta recipe of fettucine with avocado and cottage cheese. You can use shrimps instead of cottage cheese if you prefer sea food.
- 500 gm semolina fettucine
- 1 cup cottage cheese (cut in 1 cm cubes) (See note below)
- 4 ripe avocados (cut in 1 cm cubes)
- 2 large parboiled tomatoes (cut in 1 cm cubes)
- Half lemon
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook semolina fettucine until al-dente, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile marinate cottage cheese in juice of half a lemon, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, and salt.
- After 5 minutes, cook the cottage cheese and the marinade juices for exactly 5 minutes on medium heat in shimmering oil.
- Toss delicately and thoroughly the fettucine, avocado, tomatoes, cottage cheese and juices, and parsley (freshly chopped or dry flakes) until pasta is coated well. (The avocado will melt a bit and form a buttery light green coating.)
- If you eat sea food you can use shrimps instead of cottage cheese. Josceline had made fettucine with avocado and shrimps. She suggested that vegetarians could substitute shrimps with cottage cheese.