I always buy gawar (cluster beans) when I buy kaddu (bhopla/pumpkin). I make kaddu sabzi once and then after a couple of days I make this gawar bhopla bhaji. Gawar tastes awesome when you make it spicy, however my kiddo who’s now four, still can’t handle tikha khana. So this sabzi recipe is sweet, made using goda masala. My husband doesn’t like sabzis like gawar and kaddu so we make this sabzi for lunch. So far at least Devansh eats it without fuss. I am saying “so far” because last time I made karela sabzi, he declared he doesn’t like karela any more; it almost broke my heart. He had made a similar statement about egg curry a while back, but is back to devouring it. So I am hoping not liking karela is a short phase that will pass soon.
Prep time: 15 mins Cooking time: 10 mins
Healthy recipe of vitamins-rich and easy-to-chew kaddu/bhopla (pumpkin), and proteins-rich cluster beans (gawar) sabzi for toddlers and kids.
- 1 cup chopped gawar (cluster beans) pieces
- 3/4th cup cubed kaddu (pumpkin)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/4th tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4th tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 3/4th tsp goda masala (alternative given in the recipe)
- 1/4th tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4th tsp red chili powder
- Jaggery to taste (preferably organic)
- Heat a small cooker and add oil. (You can make this sabzi in a kadai if you want but cooking in a pressure cooker takes less time. This also means more nutrients are preserved.)
- When the oil is sufficiently hot, add mustard seeds and ajwain.
- Add hing after the mustard seeds start to splutter.
- Add gawar pieces, stir for a few seconds, and then add pumpkin pieces.
- Add haldi and stir for half a minute.
- Add red chili powder, goda masala, and stir once. (If you don't have goda masala at home, the next best thing to do is add some jeera and dhania powder.)
- Add at least half cup water, stir, and then add jaggery.
- Secure the cooker's lid and cook on medium-low flame for 8-10 minutes. (Two whistles)
- Take off the lid after pressure settles and then add grated coconut and salt.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, add chopped coriander, stir, and then turn off heat.