On vrats or fasting days, my mom always made bhagar, amti, batatya chi bhaaji, and khobarya chi chutney. Devansh and I love this Maharshtrian fare of vari rice, peanut powder curry, potato sabzi, and coconut chutney. I plan to post the recipes of all those dishes sometime soon (I hope). But meanwhile sharing this interesting vrat recipe from Sunita, which is a one-pot-meal of vari rice or bhagar khichdi. I haven’t really explored vrat recipes much before and I thought this idea of cooking all veggies and vari rice together is a real time saver. This vari /samo rice khichdi is perfect when you don’t want to do elaborate cooking while you are fasting.
Before going on to Sunita’s recipe, I must thank her for being encouraging towards my blog right from the start. She comments on my recipe links posted on MumMumTime’s Facebook page frequently and it is extremely rare that she hasn’t clicked Like for the recipe posts. Publishing posts without response feels like a monologue; thank you for having a dialogue through your likes and comments Sunita. And of course for this vrat recipe. 🙂
Vrat recipe of vari rice khichdi, which is a one-pot-meal for fasting days. Vari rice is also known as samo rice or bhagar.
- 1 cup vari rice (samo rice)
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 2 twigs of curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- Half cup peanut powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tomato (optional)
- 2 tsp homemade ghee
- Salt to taste
- Soak vari rice in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadai, and then add curry leaves, jeera, chopped green chilies. (You can add tomatoes at this step.)
- Add peanut powder and mix properly.
- Add red chili powder, vari rice, and salt.
- Add 2 cups water and mix well.
- Cover the kadai and cook for about 10 minutes or till the khichdi reaches the desired consistency. (You can also cook the khichdi in a small cooker.)
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot accompanied by curd.
- You can also add potatoes and carrots in this khichdi.
- If you want to make this khichdi dry, roast the vari rice and use less water to cook it.