Devansh loves, no he LOVES, mushrooms. When we go out to eat and I order anything with mushrooms in it, I don’t get to eat any because Devansh wants all the mushroom pieces. And you know exactly how many mushrooms they add in outside food right? Not enough to satiate the palate of a true-blue mushroom lover, which incidentally even I am one. So I thought of making something for Devansh where mushrooms are not a topping or one of the ingredients; it is THE ingredient. I knew he would even eat sliced mushrooms just sauted in butter, but I thought I will add some white sauce to make it a little more interesting. I mean I can hardly post that as a recipe on a blog right? :p As expected, the experiment was successful, with mushrooms, butter, and cheese you can hardly go wrong.
Devansh usually takes forever to finish chewing food in his mouth but mushrooms he was chomping real fast so that I don’t help myself to some while he’s eating; I was lucky to get a couple of bites to taste. Do try this simple but yummy recipe of a healthy snack made using nutrient-rich mushrooms in wheat sauce. Hope your kids enjoy these cheesy mushrooms in white sauce as much as Devansh did.
Cheesy Mushrooms in White Sauce Recipe
- 1 packet of button mushrooms 200 gms
- Approx. half cup milk
- 2 cheese cubes grated
- 2 cloves of garlic grated
- Pinch of black pepper powder
- Pinch of dried oregano powder
- 1 tbsp butter I used Amul butter
- Salt to taste
- Wash the mushrooms thoroughly and then slice them. (Devansh prefers chunky pieces so I didn't slice the mushrooms too fine.)
- Heat a pan, add butter and grated garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced mushrooms, cover the pan, and cook on medium-low flame for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile to prepare the white sauce while the mushrooms are cooking, add one grated cheese cube to milk, and then heat the milk to bring it to a boil.
- Add pinch of black pepper and stir properly.
- Allow the milk to simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken it, and then turn off heat.
- After cooking mushrooms with the lid on for five minutes, cook them on high flame without the lid till all the water evaporates. (Make sure to stir intermittently.)
- Add in white sauce and a pinch of oregano powder, and mix well.
- Cook on low flame till the sauce reaches desired consistency, add one grated cheese cube, and turn off heat.
- Cover the pan with a lid for a couple of minutes so that the cheese melts. (I transferred the mushrooms onto the serving plate and then added grated cheese so that it looks neat for the pic, but after clicking the snap transferred it back into the pan, mixed the melted cheese properly with mushrooms.)