One of Devansh’s best buddies in school gets chilli cheese toast in his tiffin quite often and Devansh simply loves it. I used to make it earlier but had not made it for quite a few years now. So when Devansh asked me to make it for him, I thought I will look up some recipes on the net. The recipes I found used too little veggies (bell peppers), and some none at all—just cheese and chillies. So I decided to use more of bell peppers and less (well relatively :)) cheese. I did remember I used to add mustard powder, it just adds that nice zing.
Less spicy chilli cheese toast made using light green chili or none at all, just the bell peppers, can be eaten by kids or even toddlers. Use dark green chillies for grownups and you’ll have them asking for more. I know, I am speaking from experience. 🙂 Eat it like an appetizer before a meal, an evening snack, or give it in your child’s tiffin. This recipe is yummy and very versatile. Speaking of toasted recipes, Devansh and I also like the non-sweetened, Indian version of French toast. I have shared that recipe earlier. Now, here’s an easy stove top recipe.
Chilli Cheese Toast Recipe
- 7-8 slices bread
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4th cup chopped green bell pepper capsicum
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1-2 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1-2 tbsp fresh creeam *see note below
- Approx 4 cheese cubes
- 3-4 tsp butter
- salt to taste
- Cut the edges off bread slices and then cut each slice in 2 pieces.
- Heat a non-stick pan, toast the bread pieces on it from one side. When the pieces are toasted take them off the pan.
- Heat another non-stick pan, and add 2 tbsp butter.
- Add chopped onion and saute for half a minute.
- Add chopped bell peppers and green chilli, and saute for no more than a minute. (The vegetables should get tender but not start to release moisture.)
- Transfer the sauteed vegetables to a bowl, and add salt and mustard powder.
- Add fresh cream and mix well.
- Butter the toasted side of a bread piece and spread the sauteed vegetables on top.
- Add grated cheese on top the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low flame till cheese melts.
- Serve hot. (You can sprinkle some chilli flakes on top.)
- Fresh cream is used to bind the veggies together. If you eat eggs, you can use egg white instead of cream.
- If you are making this chilli cheese toast for kids, use light colored, non-spicy green chillies. Also, deseed the chillies before chopping.