My cooking style is functional; not labor-intensive and ingredients are minimal, almost always local and seasonal. Kalpesh on the other hand uses elaborate ingredients like broccoli, colored bell peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms. Not just button mushrooms mind you; he’ll order exotic ones like oyster mushroom, portobello mushroom, and shiitake mushroom from Big Basket. So needless to say this roasted veg Mediterranean sandwich recipe was a result of Kalpesh’s labor of love. 😀
We’ve only just started shooting videos of recipes for MumMumTime and Kalpesh has been most enthusiastic about shooting them. He made this sandwich and shot this video single-handedly on one weekend while Devansh and were napping. When we got up we were treated to this colorful and delicious roasted vegetables sandwich, which he made using this lovely focaccia bread. Kalpesh says he was inspired by Startbucks’ Mediterranean Focaccia sandwich. I haven’t had it so I can’t compare but I loved this homemade version. Hope you like this veg sandwich recipe made using roasted vegetables and focaccia bread.
Mediterranean Sandwich with Roasted Veggies and Focaccia Bread
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 6-7 slices of zucchini
- 2-3 pickled gherkins
- black pepper powder
- focaccia bread
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Heat a pan and grease it with olive oil.
- Place all vegetables on the pan.
- Flip the zucchini slices in between to ensure that they get cooked evenly. (Rest of the vegetables will shrink when cooked. You can stir them in between if you like.)
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl when they shrink and become tender. (Avoid overcooking the veggies as it will make them mushy. Vegetables should not lose their crunch.)
- Heat a non-stick pan with a lid, and grease it with olive oil.
- Place foccacia bread slices in the pan and cover the lid for about half a minute to make the slices soft.
- Layer the vegetables on one slice of bread starting with zucchini.
- Sprinkle Italian herbs, black pepper and some salt. (Kalpesh prefers to not cook the vegetables with herbs. You can add the herbs and pepper powder to the vegetables at the time of cooking if you like. However, avoid adding salt at that time as it'll make the vegetables moist.)
- Place the other slice of bread on top of the vegetables, cover the lid, and cook for about a minute to heat the sandwich from inside. (This will help melt the cheese nicely.)
- Take off the lid, remove the slice on top, and place cheese slice pieces on the layered vegetables.
- Place the bread slice on top again, cover the pan with a lid, and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the sandwich onto a chopping board and make as many pieces of the sandwich as desired.
- Serve hot as roasted vegetables taste best when they're hot.