Moong dal khichdi was one of the first foods I started giving my kid, Devansh when I introduced solids in his diet. Moong dal is easy to digest as compared to other lentils. Also this dal is a good source of protein and dietary fiber.
I roast rice and dal before making the khichdi as they become easy to digest that way. I also make a little extra of this roasted rice and dal mixture and store it for future use. This healthy and tasty moong dal khichdi is suitable for six month and older babies.
Moong Dal Khichdi for Babies, Toddlers, Kids
- 2 tbsp yellow moong dal / split yellow gram
- 2 tbsp rice
- 1 pinch of hing / asafoetida
- 1 pinch of haldi / turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Wash rice and moong dal separately and then allow them to dry. I usually make this mixture of rice and moong dal to last me for a week. So I take about a cupful of each for roasting.
- Roast them in a pan separately for 5-10 minutes while stirring them continuously. This time will depend on the quantity of the mixture. 5-10 minutes is enough for 2 tbsp of rice and dal each. You will need to roast dal for a bit longer than rice.
- If your baby has just been introduced to solids, you can grind the roasted mixture coarsely in a blender.
- You need about 4 tbsp of the roasted mixture for one serving of khichdi.
- You can store the remaining mixture in an airtight container for future use.
- Add hing, haldi, and salt to 4 tbsp of roasted mixture. (Note: It is recommended to avoid adding salt in babies' food till they turn one.)
- However, in my case I found that Devansh just wouldn't eat his food without salt. Hence, I started adding little bit of salt in his food. You can decide whether you want to add salt or not after talking to your child's pediatrician.)
- Add 1 and a half cup of water.
- Cook the mixture in a pressure cooker on medium flame for about 15-20 minutes (7-8 whistles).
- Mash the khichdi finely or coarsely depending on your baby’s age.
- Add some homemade ghee to the khichdi before serving it to your baby.
- If you have introduced dairy products in your baby’s diet, you can feed your baby some curd with this khichdi.
- Roast the rice and moong dal as mentioned above.
- Add salt and water to the roasted mixture and cook it in a pressure cooker on medium flame for about 15 minutes (6-7 whistles).
- Meanwhile heat a pan and add 1 tsp ghee.
- Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, and when the seeds splutter add hing and turmeric powder.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of cooked mashed vegetables, stir properly, and then turn off heat.
- Add the tempered mashed vegetables to the cooked khichdi and mix well.
- Add some homemade ghee on top of the khichdi and serve it with curds.