Christmas vacations are just around the corner. Few days back I got a forward about a class for kids for decoration of Christmas goodies likes cupcakes and cookies. I thought why don’t I make something simple that I can get my son, Devansh, to decorate. I looked up recipes of few no-bake desserts on the Internet and zeroed in on this easy dessert recipe; it was simple, quick, and didn’t need an elaborate list of ingredients. The original recipe had used chocolate syrup to make a pattern on top; I used strawberry syrup, and some jelly candies and Gems to decorate in Christmas colors.
I must admit I made these 3 bowls while Devansh was away at his friend’s birthday party. I wanted to click snaps for the blog so wasn’t going to let him decorate this batch. The next day, my poor kiddo got cough and cold, and I couldn’t let him eat it too. I’ll make the next batch as soon as his cold is gone and will let him decorate it too. The recipe’s super simple and older kids can easily make this ice cream dessert on their own. So whether you want to make a no-fuss dessert for a lot of people or you just want to plan some fun activity for the kids during the holidays, this easy dessert recipe can be handy. Hope you like this easy, no-bake dessert recipe for kids. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!!
No-Bake, Easy Dessert Recipe using Oreo and Vanilla Ice Cream
- 12 oreo cookies
- 1 family pack of vanilla ice cream
- Red and green Gems or M&M's, jelly candy
- Strawberry syrup I used Hershey's
- Scrape off cream from between 6 oreos , and pop in 12 oreo cookies (minus the cream) in a mixer/grinder or food processor, grind to a fine powder.
- Put cookie powder in each bowl and press down with a spoon to level.
- Add vanilla ice cream in the bowls and again press down with a spoon to level. (Keep the ice cream out of the fridge for a few minutes to soften it a bit so that it becomes easy to flatten it in the bowl.)
- Keep the bowl in the freezer to allow the ice cream to set. (2-3 hours)
- When the ice cream is set, decorate it using red and green candies and strawberry syrup.
If you want the kids to make this dessert, you can give them a ziplock bag and a rolling pin. They can crush the cookies in the bag instead of powdering them in a food processor.