I am just about recovering from Dengue fever and getting back to blogging. While I was forced to rest and recuperate, Kalpesh, my husband was busy ensuring that I eat lots of fruits and have papaya leaf juice to increase my platelet count. Aai, my mom, asked way too many people for papaya leaves and one day there were papaya leaves lying everywhere. I don’t know if that gave Kalpesh the idea of making raw papaya salad also known as papaya sambharo or what but there he was all charged up about making Gujarati-style raw papaya and chili salad. My mother-in-law and Kalpesh made this sambharo, and Kalpesh even shot the video while I was sleeping. And thus the very first video on MumMumTime was shot without me. 🙂
Raw papaya sambharo is a very popular accompaniment with Gujarati fafda. I remember having fresh papaya sambharo with hot fafda for breakfast in Gondal, Gujarat few years back. The taste is simply to die for. This sambharo made by MIL and hubby also has besan and can be had almost like a chutney with sabzi-roti. If refrigerated it can last for 3-4 days and is a great way to incorporate raw papaya in your diet. Raw papaya as we know is rich in potassium and anti-oxidants. It aids digestion and has anti-inflammatory properties. I am not a big fan of ripe papaya but I love this green chili and raw papaya salad. Hope you’ll like it too.
Papaya Sambharo, Papaya Salad
- 1 and half cup sliced raw papaya
- 10-12 green chillies
- 4 tbsp gram / chickpea flour besan
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp mix of mustard and cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat a kadai, add besan, 1 tbsp oil, 1/4th tsp haldi, 1/4th tsp hing, and salt.
- Mix well, cook till the flour starts to turn dark in color, and then transfer to a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in the same kadai, and when the oil heats up, add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add 1/4th tsp of hing and haldi each when the seeds start to splutter.
- Add green chilies and raw papaya, and mix well.
- Add salt and sauté for 3-4 minutes. (Remember we had added salt in besan as well, so add salt accordingly.)
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add roasted besan and sauté till the flour soaks up the moisture.
- Serve as an accompaniment with sabzi-roti. (Traditionally, papaya sambharo is served along with fafda.)
- Select light-colored, non-spicy green chilies.
- If refrigerated the sambharo can last for 3-4 days.