Masala Chaas / Spiced Buttermilk Recipe
Masala chaas or spiced buttermilk is a refreshingly cool summer drink made of curd, powdered spices, fresh mint and coriander leaves.
- 1 and half cup curd
- 2 cups water
- 12-14 leaves of mint pudina
- coriander same quantity as milk
- 2 green chilies 1 if chili is dark/hot
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder jeera powder
- 1 large pinch black pepper powder
- salt to taste
Add water in curd and churn to make buttermilk. (We use cow milk to make curd so we need to use more curd. You can use 1 cup curd if you have sour, thick curd at home.)
Deseed chilies, chop them, add them in the mixer's jar.
Add mint leaves and coriander leaves, and blend to make a coarse paste. (Don't chop the coriander or mint leaves before grinding them.)
Add the paste, grated ginger, jeera powder, black pepper powder, and salt to the buttermilk, and mix well.
MumMumTime on Twitter
10 Holi Recipes You Must Try
- Instead of adding all table salt, you can add half Himalayan black salt (kala namak) and half table salt.
- You can give masala chaas to toddlers and younger kids by filtering out the masala by using a strainer.
- Use light-colored chili and reduce the quantity of chili and black pepper powder. You can avoid adding them altogether, if the toddlers are not used to even mildly spicy food.
- If you don't have enough time to make masala chaas but don't want to have plain buttermilk, you can enhance it's flavour by simply adding homemade chaas masala powder. Click here to view the recipe of chaas masala powder.