Amboli Recipe / Marathi Ghavane (Rice Flour Crepes)
Easy Ghavane / Amboli recipe. Amboli is very popular in Malvani cuisine. These thin rice crepes like Neer Dosa are good accompaniment for sabzi and curries.
- 1 cup rice flour
- Approx 1 cup water
- 1/4th tsp jeera powder optional
- homemade ghee or oil
Add rice flour in a mixing bowl and go on adding little water to it till you achieve thin, pouring consistency. Mix using a whisk to ensure no lumps remain in the batter.
Heat a non-stick tava and then grease it with little ghee or oil when it's hot. (The tava must be properly heated to get the spongy texture of amboli.)
Pour the batter on the tava in a circular shape. (You can use a laddle or a small bowl for pouring.)
Cover and cook for a couple of minutes and then take off the cover.
Flip over the amboli when the edges start to curl up, and the amboli looks cooked from one side.
Cook the other side for a couple of minutes and then transfer the cooked amboli onto a plate.
Repeat the same process for the rest of the batter.
- Jeera powder is not added in the traditional amboli recipe, you can omit it if you like.
- If you want to make bigger sized amboli, use a small tava and pour the batter such that it covers the entire tava.
- Don't flatten the batter after pouring it on the tava like you would for a dosa.
- Add less water if you want thick amboli.