Simple Dal Recipe
Quick and simple dal recipe for babies, toddlers, and kids. This non-spicy dal can be served as an accompaniment with parathas, chillas etc.
- 2 tbsp toor dal split pigeon peas
- 1/4th tsp powdered cumin seeds jeera powder
- 1/5th tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/5th tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 pinch of red chilli powder
- 1 tsp homemade ghee
- salt to taste
Wash the toor dal thoroughly and drain the water from it.
Heat a small cooker and add ghee.
Add jeera powder and stir. (For older kids, you can add cumin seeds (whole jeera) instead of the powder.)
Add hing and haldi, stir, and then add the washed toor dal.
Sauté for half a minute and then add about one cup water.
Add salt and chili powder. (For older kids and grownups, you can add more chili powder. For babies, you can omit adding chili powder.)
Cook on low heat for 7-8 minutes (two whistles) till the dal gets cooked properly. (I use a really small cooker so I prefer cooking on low heat as otherwise dal's water tends to come out from the whistle if the heat is high.)
Serve hot with parathas or chillas.
- You may want to omit putting salt for babies less than one year of age. You can squeeze some lemon in dal before serving.
- You can add mashed vegetables to the dal and serve it like a soup to babies.