Moong Dal Rice Recipe for Babies, toddlers, Kids
Quick and easy moong dal rice made using yellow moong dal, which is easy for digestion. An ideal recipe for babies toddlers and kids.
Servings: 1 person
- 2 tbsp yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 2 tbsp rice
- 1 pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 1 pinch of haldi (turmeric powder)
- 1/2 tsp grated jaggery
- salt (to taste - see note below)
Wash rice and moong dal thoroughly to remove traces of pesticide.
Add hing, haldi, jaggery, and salt.
Add 1 and a half cup of water. For toddlers, you might want to make this less runny. So reduce the quantity of water accordingly.
Cook in a pressure cooker on medium flame for about 20-25 minutes (8-9 whistles).
Mash the cooked dal-rice finely or coarsely depending on your baby’s age.
Add some homemade ghee before serving it.
- It is recommended to avoid adding salt in babies' food till they turn one. However, in my case I found that Devansh just wouldn't eat his food without salt. Hence, I started adding little bit of salt in his food. You can decide whether you want to add salt or not after talking to your child's pediatrician.
- You can squeeze some lemon in the moong dal rice if you're not going to add salt in it. It tastes nice even otherwise. Devansh likes lemon squeezed in this rice.